Wednesday, June 15, 2011

There is an awesome thunderstorm this morning. I love thunderstorms - to me they are relaxing for the very reason other people hate them. They remind my of my 'smallness', and the real wonder of creation. Knowing just a bit of the laws of physics involved make them that much cooler. According to my former Atmospheric Sciences major husband. The major was former, not the husband - he says that "science", read: man (i think science understands itself *snort*), doesn't know exactly what makes the sound of thunder, but it probably is the sound of air rushing back into the vacuum that the lightning strike created in the sky. Also, the reason for lightning is interesting and cool, too - but I'll let you look it up if you want ;). Instead, I'll leave this verse. I never would have noticed this verse, I don't think, had it not been for the movie, Nativity made a few years back. I love that movie. There is a scene where the little Jewish children are being taught scripture, this is the scripture and they repeat the ending when she begins each sentence:

1 Kings 19:11-13

New International Version (NIV)

11 The LORD said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.”
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

image: www.sxc.hu/nespresso

No comments:

Post a Comment