Thursday, June 9, 2011

The 'Normal' of Summer Break

I was really not sure about summer. See, when my kids get home from school, they are disasters. Once dinner and homework is done, it's bed. The weekend usually has its own challenges with having everyone in the house, to-do lists, plans, etc. We were never just being with each other.

All I saw of my kids for the past year was bickering, very and I mean VERY low tolerance to anything and melt-downs. *sigh* That makes me sad for homeschooling again. When we're all just together we have a rhythm. They have media time, reading time, they can watch a movie or a show, and they once again have enough free time to spark imagination, which for me, was one of the best reasons to keep them home. Our kids don't imagine or have creativity time in public school, that's really non-disputable. They do, however, get time with peers, learn what rigid structure is like, and they are challenged (also can be at home). Why does this sound like a homeschooling post? No, I'm not really considering it - I don't think. I'm just letting my thoughts flow with my experience and observation of my kids' behaviors. Brother and sister are actually GETTING ALONG *hallelujah choir*.

What we've been doing....

Summer is a very loose 'homeschooling' environment in my house, with little structure.

I'm using these websites for math for now...although Sis is going to need some review and has a packet from her 4th grade teacher to work on. And the 2nd grader is going into "high ability" class next year, and he also has a packet from his new teacher to work on.

www.softschools.com
www.funbrain.com

We've gone to the library each week so far since we've been let of school - so that's twice. Sis has gotten about six books finished - both fiction and non-fiction. DS will be in second grade, and he's still feeling a little intimidated by chapter books, mostly because he can't find a subject he likes. There are lots more choices for girls it seems - and he definitely likes playing math games more than reading for leisure at this point. I think that's pretty normal for a guy that just graduated 1st grade.

They have chores to do as well. And like I mentioned earlier, free time that always involves role-playing "store", "teacher", or some other crazy action scenario involving running around the house. It is good for the two-year old to learn this type of play, and he enjoys it to a certain point.

During points of the day, they both also write or doodle with their little brother.

Then, at night when the sun is going down, we go outside and they run around a little bit, ride bikes, etc.

So, summer is not horrible!! Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment