Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I love it when I am dreading something, or feel like I have no energy and then it turns out to be super FUN!

Tonight was bath night...and lately the toddler has been screaming and running away. Rather than battle time, however, tonight he and his brother laughed and played with their lego guys in the tub. It is funny because the two-year old is really starting to realize he loves to laugh (just like me). He's also starting to do voices as he plays. He really laughs at feigned reactions to physical pain, again...slapstick humor which sadly, I do possess as well.

After his bath he was jumping around on the bed with absolutely no care to where the edge was...so we decided to redirect this craziness to "dance party" time. He uses a little cd player we got several years ago and Daddy makes him special cd's. He's got one right now that is techno-dance and they really, really get all their crazies out to that. And it's entertaining as heck to us.

After that fun time, I decided that I'd read them a story. When my older two were small, story-time was a beloved and looked forward to time. Daddy worked nights, and Sis was still into story time. They'd each pick two books, we snuggle, or I'd read to them in their bunks - good times. Now, she is getting older and feels she is too big for story time *tear*. But tonight DS picked Shel Silverstein. What fourth grader can't be charmed by his poetry? Not mine. Another thing in story-time's favor is that the toddler is now beginning to settle down and listen. Before, the little stinker would pull at the books, tackle my head, make loud noises...anything to ruin time with brother and sister. My littlest is a HUGE jealous-head over anyone taking 'mommy-time'. It's altogether endearing and awful at the same time.

Back to Shel, we laughed, got weirded out a little at a guy making a stew out of himself, and then it was devotion, prayer, bedtime...*sigh*. "Bedtime" including baths can start at 7:30 and not end until 9:30. I think I have the longest bedtime ritual known to man, and have never had kids where I just tell them to go to bed and we're done. I think they are totally spoiled, but I landed at this style of parenting after being at the total other end of the spectrum. But that's a whole other tale. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how much I loved Silverstein as a child...I guess so much that now I have my very own collection of his books for B. With each entry that I read of your, Diddle, I realize how badly I need to come visit you and the family. I miss you all very much :)

    ReplyDelete