Friday, December 23, 2011

Family Update-ness

I have been adjusting and caring for my now FOUR littles. I decided this time to just update in sections for each kid in birth order...

Sis - Gone is the "little girl". Once in awhile I'll catch her pretending to be a puma or wolf, running around on all fours and trying to get my attention - but it is becoming fewer and farther between. She's now giving her time to more mature things, like obsessing about when she is going to get her iPod and recording little skits and editing them. And she finally has a friend. The kind of friend who you are sure that you are sure that your heart is safe. Yeah. That kind of friend - it's pretty nice to see her face light up and to be free from the drama that she has experienced in the past. She's spending the night at her friend's house as we speak.

We had a little issue a couple weeks ago with her only being 16% done with independent reading and it's 50% through the school year! uh-ohsss. Once we were alerted via a little note coming home (all parents were notified, apparently a lot of kids are slacking), we stopped all media for the most part until she caught up. Literally took her about a week and a half, including taking and passing the quiz for each book as well. She's typically pretty good at self-regulating her homework responsibilities, save for forgetting a text book now and then, but once in awhile....

It's also really amazing when I think about all the haggardly running around I used to do to keep up with house work. When baby #4 came, doing the dishes and sweeping/vacuuming just got impossible. With little lady around, it gets DONE! Woot!

Big Brother (DS1) - Oh my little man!! He is so loving to his little brother and sister. He is an "old soul" as far as maturity. He astounds us. Yet and I laugh right now - yet - he also is the silliest kid I know and will randomly shake his hips Elvis style - just because. He's developing a solid sense of who he is and what he likes. What confidence he has!! I am so thankful. Because he is a somewhat sensitive boy with an intermittent stuttering issue that lands him in speech therapy a few times a week - we were a little concerned. We even decided to keep him out of preschool, and homeschool for several years along with his sister when he was little. When we moved here last year, his teacher was such a lovely person with a good sense of who her kids were and she loved every one! She picked up on his abilities and recommended him for "High Ability" classes going into second grade. He was tested and to my amazement - tested way above his age level. His teacher is super nice and he is adjusting beautifully to the challenges. Sometimes I feel bad because I still think he has more potential - I'm going to really try to encourage him to have more time by himself to read and encourage more hobby activity. It's hard with "Little Y" at his heels at every turn though... :)

Little Y - Oh little man, how you are so handsome and cute!! First thing that is worth mentioning is his size. He is so large for his age and it's all just bone and muscle...he's in clothes that are a couple years ahead..so funny. Second thing to mention, he is TOTALLY addicted to playing computer games. He can navigate chrome, all the bookmarks, identify which sites he wants to play - and he plays. He's totally bored with NickJr and has moved on to more challenging things. He plays while I am tending to the baby and getting work done. Since they are all essentially games that are using geometry and math skills, I really don't have a problem with it - I do miss our one on one time...but we still read a book together at night and I give him squeezes when I can if little Baby E is content...

Baby E - This little miss needs face time or she is miserable! Such a girl. Girls have a "love language" of time, you know. She's just like me in that regard. She feels loved and that all is right with the world as long as she is on my hip or getting talked to. She loves her brothers and sisters and if she is really charmed, she will give a huge smile in conjunction with a scrunched nose. But she will ALWAYS give a smile of some sort in appreciation for being talked to. Even if she is crying, she will pause to look me in the eye and smile. Absolutely lovable.

I don't know how or why in the world I have been blessed by these Little people in my life...from where I came from and what I thought my life would be like, it is like a world apart. But God has blessed me beyond measure and I feel overwhelming thankfulness and sobering responsibility to these creatures every day. Being a Mom is pretty great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment