Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Since my last post, I don't think I've been a weepy mess. Bonus! I do think most of that was due to just going to church, being encouraged in my spirit, and seeing other humans who are nice. That's always a good thing for the spirit.

Today I am totally taking it easy. This week is the 'crazy heat wave week'. We had a good stretch of fairly mild weather, but it's just hot now. Over the weekend I went outside with the whole family to the field across the street so that they could practice batting and catch, etc. It felt like my hair was on fire, my heart was beating fast, and my arms immediately turned red. I'm genetically not built for summer, I guess. Whether I'm pregnant or not, that's pretty much the reaction past 85 degrees. I pretty much am not a summer person, I guess. DS2 got a little red face right along with me, but he really wanted to go slide, so I suffered through the neighborhood park, which did have some shade.

So, yesterday I found out that I'm B-12 anemic. Iron anemia seems to be much more common knowledge than B12, but they both are involved in producing red blood cells, and they are both found in animal products (this is the death wish of vegans if they don't take a supplement. because unlike iron, B12 is ONLY found in animal products). The lab tests showed that my red blood cells are larger than normal, with a low count. With not enough B12, your red blood cells can't leave the marrow (where they are produced). What happens, symptomatically, is weakness, memory trouble, and eventually organ issues. It could explain why I feel so weak and breathless without the wheezing. My midwife said it would take about four weeks for the supplements that I am now on to affect my blood cell production and make a significant change in the count. BAH!! At least it will be by the time I give birth, but I am sick of feeling so tired and having it affect my daily life and just the way I handle my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment