Sunday, February 20, 2011

February Happenings

Pregnancy 

I am nearing the tenth week. Feeling like things might be leveling off, or at least I am getting used to feeling like poo-poo. I always feel guilty even saying that. I mean, some people can't keep anything down....I have a fabulous appetite, but my mental motivation, and physical capacity seem to be at about 10%.

With three other kids, I can feel a little sorry for myself, right?

Fam

This morning I wanted to go to church and was prevented by both a wardrobe malfunction and a really, really sad toddler. The really, really sad toddler was really what did it. I guess I'm a huge softy. I grabbed the wrong keys. See, I was almost out the door. I grabbed the wrong keys, went in and saw his totally melting down face and it was over. No leaving for me.

But, yesterday....yesterday was glorious!! I found a table and chairs on a certain classified listing site that totally looked like an IKEA awesome set...very modern and the lighter wood that was recommended for me to get to hide scratches. At first, the husband didn't want it because it's bar-height. So, after going back and forth with the owner for a few days about when we could see it, I told him we couldn't. Days later he emailed and dropped the price by a hundred. Long story short - I got a solid wood table and six chairs in good condition for three-hundred dollars. I love being thrifty, just love it. I was totally prepared to buy new; I was really sick of our old one being butt-ugly, and not big enough for our family!! Seriously bad for guests, too. So, yeah - fabulous!!! We went out together to pick it up while my mom watched the kids for us. She was in-town for a visit. The toddler has no problems staying with "gamma". I think it's distracting and fun for him. I would think it would be harder with Daddy and I both gone, but he seems to do really awesome with her. That was how we were able to see Sufjan in the fall, too. So, Gramma visits are great for the kids.

Birthday!!

My little guy turned seven this week. He is absolutely amazing. At school, his class is raising money for the children's hospital. After getting some birthday money, he said he wanted to give it to the hospital. I love that kid.

Last night I had him invite two of his friends over for just a casual get together. I don't really do big parties, but no one minded!! They had grilled burgers, fries, and cake. And candy. His friend brought over an entire bag full of movie theater sized candy that I had to work in there somewhere. I told them they had to eat oranges and carrots first for their bedtime snack. I'm so mean. I also argued with his friend, that no, they could not stay up all night. Kids nowadays don't mind arguing. (I woulda crapped my pants before arguing with an adult. Ahh, the times are changing. But, yea, we won that one, too.)

They had so much fun. It's funny to see that age group interact. His best friend is like, totally a wrestling pro. He's been in wrestling for at least a couple years, and wins almost every match. He can twist on his head and do this crazy move and end up crushing DS and "winning" when they play. They don't get hurt or mad, but it looks like they will. So funny. Later, we put on some classic rock and they started a spontaneous mosh-pit. It was like silly 80's rock and I got a tickle out of that. I then changed it to old-skool hip hop and they showed us their best pseudo break-dancing moves. hahaha

Sissy

Sister is doing much better with her emotions. She is no longer anxious in the mornings. She 'gets' that is OK if she's not early and realizes that things come up. Also, using video games as a reward that can be taken away for bad behavior seems to really be working. But mostly, it seems like something internal is better for her. She does seem to have a little more patience generally. Also, one day I realized that I needed to coach her into empathy. She doesn't naturally think of other's perspectives, so I had to really explain how it makes me feel, or her brother feel when she does "xyz". She sort of stops, and gets a little sad puppy look and says sorry.

So, that's kind of enough to make a mommy glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment